Card of the Week Contest #215: Take Two May 7, 2018 13:10:59 GMT
Post by Daij_Djan on May 7, 2018 13:10:59 GMT
Welcome to the Card of the Week Contest! To participate in this Contest you'll have to design a card along the contest guidelines and throw it into the arena with other competitors' entries! At the end of each week, a winner will be determined by forum poll. The winner's card will be rendered and featured on the Welcome page, and the winner decides the challenge for the next week's Contest!
Here we go, competitors: our two-hundred and fifteenth challenge!
The winner of the "Avatars of Me" poll was shiftyhomunculus with...
And the challenge issued by our winner was...
shiftyhomunculus said:This week, in the spirit of the new forum, you have the opportunity to give one of Magic's greatest failures a second chance, with a variant of the final design challenge from the first two Great Designer Searches!
Here's the deal: Choose a card that's currently banned in either Standard or Modern and take the earliest printing of that card. Imagine you're on the design team for that set, and, on the final day before the set goes to print, you get a memo from high command. That card needs to be axed and you must design a last-minute replacement, with the following stipulations:
- It must be exactly the same colors and card type. (Subtypes can be changed.)
- It must be the same rarity.
- It must occupy the same spot as the original card in the card list! If you're replacing, say, Rampaging Ferocidon, your card's name must fit alphabetically between Otepec Huntmaster and Raptor Hatchling.
- It must fit flavorfully and mechanically into the same environment, so it can't use any keyword mechanics that don't already exist in the set.
Please make sure to include the name of the card you're replacing.
(Note: The original challenge specified that the new card must also use the same art as the original, but we've waived this restriction. You can still follow it if you like!)
EDIT: In case you're unsure about the banned cards, here are the current Standard and Modern Banned lists, plus the cards containing the banned cards in their midsts. In case of multiple printings, I always went with the first Modern-legal set (quite important in case of Summer Bloom). ~Daij_Djan
- Aetherflux Reservoir → Aetherworks Marvel → Animation Module
- Skysovereign, Consul Flagship → Smuggler's Copter → Snare Thopter
- Exquisite Archangel → Felidar Guardian → Ghirapur Osprey
- Armorcraft Judge → Attune with Aether → Blossoming Defense
- Renegade Wheelsmith → Rogue Refiner → Spire Patrol
- Otepec Huntmaster → Rampaging Ferocidon → Raptor Hatchling
- Ipnu Rivulet → Ramunap Ruins → Scavenger Grounds
- Yotian Soldier → Ancient Den → Blinkmoth Well
- Beast Within → Birthing Pod → Brutalizer Exarch
- Blademane Baku → Blazing Shoal → Clash of Realities
- Chromatic Sphere → Chrome Mox → Clockwork Beetle
- Blinkmoth Well → Cloudpost → Glimmervoid
- Boreal Shelf → Dark Depths → Frost Marsh
- Cryptborn Horror → Deathrite Shaman → Dryad Militant
- Crippling Chill → Dig Through Time → Disdainful Stroke
- Demonic Collusion → Dread Return → Drudge Reavers
- Dread Statuary → Eye of Ugin → Halimar Depths
- Defensive Stance → Gitaxian Probe → Impaler Shrike
- Gale Force → Glimpse of Nature → Hana Kami
- Golgari Brownscale → Golgari Grave-Troll → Goliath Spider
- Glimmervoid → Great Furnace → Seat of the Synod
- Glissa's Courier → Green Sun's Zenith → Lead the Stampede
- Herd Gnarr → Hypergenesis → Krosan Grip
- Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur → Mental Misstep → Mindculling
- Pestermite → Ponder → Protective Bubble
- Phantom Beast → Preordain → Redirect
- Plated Geopede → Punishing Fire → Pyromancer Ascension
- Rimescale Dragon → Rite of Flame → Skred
- Great Furnace → Seat of the Synod → Stalking Stones
- Rule of Law → Second Sunrise → Skyhunter Cub
- Rustmouth Ogre → Seething Song → Shatter
- Reito Lantern → Sensei's Divining Top → Shell of the Last Kappa
- Shield of Kaldra → Skullclamp → Spawning Pit
- Spawning Breath → Splinter Twin → Staggershock
- Ruin Ghost → Stoneforge Mystic → Talus Paladin
- Stream of Life → Summer Bloom → Trained Armodon
- Thousand Winds → Treasure Cruise → Waterwhirl
- Stalking Stones → Tree of Tales → Vault of Whispers
- That Which Was Taken → Umezawa's Jitte → Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
- Tree of Tales → Vault of Whispers → Plains
To increase your chances of winning and to also make creating the poll easier on whomever is doing so, please try to use a render.
Additionally, please try to keep your entry edits all in one post - if you need to change it you can put your old entry in a spoiler marked "Old entry" and leave the newest rendition to be seen. Just use the edit button in the top/right of your original post.
And now, time to begin the challenge!
Best of luck, competitors!