Post by fluffydeathbringer on May 29, 2023 23:45:14 GMT
so, some thoughts (I'll start this off by admitting I have little experience with the source material)
- there's not much black to Javert, and barely any white (white has dabbled in cantrip creatures at some point, but a flat double-investigate seems a bit beyond the pale still). I'd suggest a "whenever a creature dies, investigate" trigger instead
- enjolras costing as much as he does could just let defenders attack as a static
- grantaire's mana cost, life payment requirement, legendary requirement, and strict window of opportunity to trigger the effect for it to be combat-relevant mean that he is pretty much unplayably kneecapped. at the very least, I think he could be to start with, but outside a specific legendary aristocrat theme I don't think you'll be using the buff aggressively very often. maybe have it extend to legendaries both entering and dying?
- one thing I'd bear in mind with Digressions is that Sagas are balanced around having to wait for their effects. with Digressions, getting to the juicy final chapter is much faster, since it's possible and in fact optimal to play them on your opponent's end step. something to bear in mind. nothing jumps out as horribly imbalanced in that regard, but Details' land fetch should include a shuffle clause and Waterloo's final chapter really isn't monored.
- Galley Whelp's looking sus; black hasn't had direct, unrestricted mana dorks in a good while
- Field Cannon should really tap for its shots, given that it can unload them all the turn it enters right now
- Benevolent Patron's ability is really not blue, green usually tutors creatures to field
- Stirring Speech is very underpowered as well
to end on a positive note, the set symbol's simple and effective and Devoted Servant is a clever idea for a common white creature, giving white cantrip creatures in a fairly white way. I do think there's potential in these ideas, there are just some issues too
Hi, thanks for the comments on the balance issues. I'll fix a few of those later.
I also wasn't sure about Javert's colours but thematically it fits (apart from anything else his big soliloquy is literally called "Noir ou blanc" in the French musical). I do wonder if he should be BU though.
I should add that I am not a very good Magic player (despite my current arena ranking) and am mostly doing this for the flavour.
cool little pair thematics-wise, but mechanically these aren't really appropriate for common in terms of power level and complexity. conviction's pretty much going to be the same as exiling the permanent permanently outside EDH, and destroying/exiling any permanent without reservations isn't really in any single color's wheelhouse (monowhite gets to do it with recompense with Generous Gift, but the ability's been fairly consistently WB in Modern (Ashen Rider, Angel of Despair)
I think thematics wouldn't suffer much if you made these target creatures exclusively and reduced the cost accordingly